Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Listening to Books


A few years ago, one of the Sno-Isle librarians started giving me a hard time about never listening to audiobooks. They're great, she said. You can listen to them in the car, she said. They're a whole new way to appreciate a book, she said. Finally, just to make her stop, I listened to an audiobook and learned that she had been right all along. I now listen to an audiobook almost every day (is that the definition of an addict?)
Sno-Isle offers lots of audiobooks on CD, as well as ones you can download to your iPod or computer or other device. Many of my favorites are teen books and have been winners of awards like the Audies or the Odyssey. I can listen to The Graveyard Book forever--author Neil Gaiman has an amazing voice, so hypnotic that I could barely force myself to get out of my car! Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver series has multiple narrators--it's like listening to a movie or a play and you can't help but create pictures in your head. The Jacky Faber adventures are so compelling that you'll feel like you're right there on a sailing ship with this girl disguised as a boy.
So, have you tried audiobooks? Which ones can you recommend? If you haven't tried listening to a book, don't wait as long as I did--you'll love them!

No comments: