Monday, September 15, 2008

Is it ever ok to laugh about suicide?

This week an author I really like committed suicide. To me, this is a gigantic super sad bummer, and a tremendous waste. I think there are always other options, other choices, and ways to get through and find a better life...even if that doesn't seem clear to people who are dealing with depression.

If you or a friend need someone to talk to, here are two great resources:
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1.800.SUICIDE
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK

Then today I saw this article: China bans bunny suicide book. I have read this book. It is dark, but also very funny. The Chinese government is worried it will inspire stressed teens to kill themselves. But I think sometimes dark humor helps almost as much as good advice. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think laughing can sometimes help you feel better, even if you're not laughing at the same thing as everyone else. If you don't laugh at anything, you're probably closer to suicide than you think, and if you can laugh at something, even something as dark as bunny suicides, then you'll probably be OK. I hope.