Thursday, November 19, 2009

Teen Books and Swear Words - What Do You Think?

Some people strongly feel that books for teen should have absolutely no swearing in them at all. Other people think teen books should be as realistic as possible, and that this means using strong language sometimes.

Author Jackson Pearce was surprised that so many reviews of her new book As You Wish seem to focus on just one word...the "f-bomb" used only once in the book.



What do you think? Should authors clean it up, or is a little swearing realistic?

1 comment:

Jackie said...

While I definitely knew teens who didn't swear, I wasn't one of them. I think I actually swore more as a teen than I do now. So, I think it depends on who the character is that swears, and if it's appropriate to that character in that situation.