Monday, June 20, 2011

On the Road

Unless something catastrophic happens, my car will reach her 200,000 mile mark sometime this summer. I am reminded of the all the road trips I have taken in this car, and while it will probably happen on the way to work or the store, it makes we wish that I was driving off on an unplanned adventure. For now, I will just share some of my favorite road trip books:
The Last Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson, the sequel to 13 Little Envelopes has just been published. While the first book was more “trains, planes, and boats” as Ginny crisscrossed Europe following the clues and tasks her Aunt left her, this latest book sees Ginny squished into a beat up car driving the final legs of this adventure
In Going Bovine by Libba Bray, after discovering he has Mad Cow’s disease, Cameron leaves the hospital and sets off on a road trip with a death-obsessed gaming dwarf and a talking yard gnome in search for a cure.
The Miles Between by Mary Pearson Destiny keeps a painful childhood secret all to herself until she and three classmates from her exclusive boarding school take off on an unauthorized road trip in search of "one fair day."
The Secret Life of Prince Charming by Deb Caletti
After Quinn gets dumped, she starts to wonder if there really are no good men. It doesn't help when she discovers that her selfish, womanizing father has stolen more from the women in his life than their hearts. Quinn joins forces with the stepsister she's never met and sets out to right her father's wrongs.

Or for a classic:
Travels with Charley: in search of America by John Steinbeck. “With his dog Charley, John Steinbeck set out in his truck to explore and experience America in the 1960s.”

So what is your favorite road-trip novel and where would you like to be when the dial hits 200,000 miles?

2 comments:

Kj said...

I liked "Jerk, California", and my odometer is already past 200,000. If I can make it to 300,000, maybe a trip to Montana...

Dawn said...

I love The True Meaning of Smekday. My car is now at 224,000+. If I can make it to 300,000 I'd like to go to Yellowstone.