Monday, March 31, 2008

And hanging from the door was a bloody hook!

I'm not a huge fan of ghost stories. I prefer zombies (especially kitten zombies) to tell the truth. But I came across Joe Hill last year and his collection of stories 20th Century Ghosts last week and wanted to tell you all about it.

Joe Hill first came to my attention with his book Heart-Shaped Box which is the story of what happens when a washed up death metal singer buys a dead man's suit. The answer? Nothing good. It isn't a BAD book, creepy in places and sensitive in others. But it kinda falls apart at the end. It got a lot of good press though. And it helps that Joe Hill is Stephen King's son.

What hasn't gotten a lot of press is the fact that he has a collection of shorter work which I picked up this week. I'm only as far as the second story, but the first one is so well done and the ideas are so interesting I can't wait to finish it.

If you want something a bit darker and grown up than R.L. Stine give 20th Century Ghosts a try.

No comments: