Thursday, January 5, 2012

Geek Out: Book Recommendation and Tech Tip

Right now I'm listening to a really fun book called Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. If you like video games, 80s culture, sci-fi and/or quest books, you are going to LOVE this.

It is about a bazillionaire game designer who creates an amazing virtual universe that humanity basically plays/hides in while Earth falls to pieces. When he dies, his will reveals that he is going to give away all his wealth to whoever can solve the game he has been creating in anticipation of this event. You get the story from one of the teens competing for this prize, and along the way learn the story of the genius programmer.

I'm always super impressed with folks who teach themselves how to code.  I seriously never gave it much thought, only doing a little bit of basic html when I was in school.  But now, it is so much apart of our world, and so many jobs use it...I feel like I'm carrying around some major ignorance on this subject.  Which is why when I heard about Code Year, I got pretty excited.

Basically, this new website Codecademy is offering FREE weekly online lesson on coding:

Make your New Year's resolution learning to code. 
Sign up on Code Year to get a new interactive programming lesson sent to you each week and you'll be building apps and web sites before you know it. 

The first lesson goes out next week, so why not give it a try?  Maybe it will send your life in a whole new (awesome) direction!

No comments: