Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Movies about Books

Some people don't like it when a book they have read is turned into a movie. It is never as good and they say it destroys the way they remember the book.

I like it, for me there is no down side.

Whether the movie is great or lousy it has no effect on how I feel about the book.

Even if the movie is terrible, I still get to experience someone else's view of something I care about. It is just like talking with someone about a book you have both read. Even if they disagree with you, the conversation is still fun.

Don't get me wrong, I can still be disappointed when a movie falls short or screws up a book. I want the movie to be good but if it isn't......I still have the book.



My favorite book of all time is Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and I think Peter Jackson did a great job with the movies. However, I hate the way Gimli was portraited. Jackson took one of my favorite characters and turned him into a punch line. But if I want to remember Gimli the way he is "supposed" to be, I can just reread the books.

Well, another series of books I love is being turned into a movie. George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series has been made into a HBO series that just started this month.



If you have HBO, check it out.

The fact that I don't have HBO is driving me crazy.
If you don't you are stuck with me reading (or rereading) the books and waiting for Sno-Isle to get the season one DVD.

How do you feel when a favorite book of yours is turned into a movie?
Does seeing a movie change the way you envision a book when you reread it?

Nate - Snohomish Library Reference

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

they ruined Cirque du freak, the movie was so horrible, and Mr crepsley looked bad he was suppose to look like the manga version, the books and manga are 100x better